Skip to content

FIRST NIKON D3s VIDEO & THOUGHTS

03.18.2010

Using the new Nikon D3s for the first time, I made this video of a friend who has taken on the craft/art of blacksmithing. I hope you enjoy watching it as much as I did shooting and editing it.

After having made my first video using a DSLR (the Nikon D3s), I thought I’d share a few quick thoughts and observations.

In short, I couldn’t be happier with the results. To shoot video with such a camera requires several workarounds, but the reward is amazing image quality and a cinematic look that is hard to achieve with a standard video camera.

APPROACH: One of the first things that I noticed was that having a still camera in my hands to make a video made me think differently. Interestingly, it made me want to capture my video footage more like I would for still images. In this case, I used very few tilts and pans and instead let movement take place within the frame. I found this to be a plus for the subject matter (blacksmithing), and in the end I was pleased with the look.

FOCUS. If my subject was not confined to such a small space (a garage), I’m not sure a DSLR would have been my choice. In this video, focus was not a huge issue because the subject didn’t move too far, and I usually knew where he would be during each stage of the process. If the space was larger and movement more random, focus would have been a challenge. I used both manual focus and auto-focus. In the later, the auto-focus is slow, but helped when I wasn’t sure if I had nailed my manual focus.

IMAGE QUALITY. A good example of the image quality is the first interview scene (after the title), which was enlarged by about 30 percent. I was shocked how well the image held up with that kind of enlargement. Making such a drastic crop with my video camera, a Panasonic HPX170, would have destroyed the image. When played on an HD player, like Vimeo’s, I would say that the quality stacks up well against Canon’s best video DSLRs.

WORKAROUND #1. I’m accustomed to looking through a viewfinder when shooting, so using the LCD screen (as required in video mode shooting) was not a good option for me. Plus, I’m farsighted. To solve that problem I attached the Zacuto Z-finder to the LCD, which turned it into a viewfinder. It worked well, except at times it fogged and critical focus was not always easy to see.

WORKAROUND #2. There has been a lot written regarding audio with DSLRs. I used two different microphones, a Sennheiser wireless for the interview, and the Sennheiser MKE 400 for ambient audio. The hardest part was not being able to see, or know, my audio levels, like you can in most professional video cameras. There are add-ons that will allow monitoring of audio levels, but something in-camera would be preferred.

WORKAROUND #3. If Apple’s Final Cut Pro is your editing software, then the “AVI” files that the D3s produces will need to be converted into files using the “ProRes” codec. In my case, I used Compressor, which comes with Final Cut Pro Studio, to convert the files so that they could be edited in Final Cut Pro. Not a huge issue, but still a workaround, compared to a video camera.

STABILITY. Keeping the camera steady without a tripod and fluid head is nearly impossible once you go past about 50mm. Owning a good tripod, and especially a good fluid head, is a must. Or one of the new “rigs” from various manufacturers designed to give you more anchor points looks like a good idea.

CLIP LENGTH. A real frustration is that no clip can be longer than five minutes. That was fine for everything, but interviews. After each interview question was answered, I had to check to see how much clip time I had left. Parts of several interviews went too long, and never got recorded.  (When interviewing, I would stand next to the camera and converse with the subject, rather than tend to my camera.)

CONCLUSION. Although this is not intended to be a review (others have given very thorough reviews of the D3s), I can easily say that if you are a Nikon loyalist and want to make a video with this camera, you’ll be very pleased doing so. I look forward to making more videos with the D3s.

TECHNICAL & EQUIPMENT NOTES.

13 Comments
  1. 03.27.2010 1:22 pm

Very nice, very clean. Not much to comment on it. The length of the piece is good too. I am just curious about the music. What did you use?

2. 03.27.2010 2:31 pm

Virginie: Thanks for checking it out. The first song I found in my Garage Band library and the second song is a royalty-free song I bought from premiumbeat.com, which I use on a regular basis. Rich

3. 05.06.2010 3:09 am

Rich: Great job on the video…I’m blown away at how “cinematic” your compositions are, and how the whole thing works so well together. Congratulations. As one who is struggling with the still to video transition, it’s great to have inspiration like this piece. Bob K.

• 05.06.2010 9:47 am

Bob:

Thanks for taking the time to check out the video and send me your positive vibes. You are a very talented photographer, who I have no doubt will make that transition in your own original way.

The learning curve can be steep in the beginning, but the final product can be very rewarding. Your skills as a visual storyteller and as a journalist will suit you very well if video is a direction you’d like to go. Full speed ahead, I say.

Rich

4. Suresh permalink
    08.06.2010 6:23 pm

Rich: Great Job. question: I am a newbie , In all the video interviews I watched, I noticed that the interviewee doesnt look into the camera. Is this some kind f a technique to make it look natural?

Whats the reason that the interviewee isn’t looking directly into the camera

• 08.10.2010 9:01 pm

For me, I want the interview to seem conversational, sincere, and real. I believe if the subject was talking to the camera, they would be talking to you, the viewer, and that doesn’t seem natural for the kind of video I want to make. Also, I’ve learned that few people are good at articulating themselves in an interview when they know the camera is on, and if they had to talk to the camera, I think that they would feel even more intimidated by the process. Thanks for checking out the video. Hope this answered your question. R

5. 01.11.2012 10:09 am

I’ve had my D3S for about 15 months now but have not used the video facility because of the lack of 1080 HD which we can now look forward to with the new D4. However, I thought your use of the camera to produce this piece was excellent, well done indeed. Perhaps I should not have worried about the higher resolution as most finished results nowadays are viewed online and your film is testament to the fact that it can look fabulous at lower resolutions. Thank you for sharing this and giving enthusiasm!

6. Rich Addicks permalink
    01.11.2012 10:12 am

Colin: 1080p is nice, but for the web, there is nothing wrong with 720p, especially coming from such a large sensor. More than the “not 1080″, I hated that the D3s could only shoot 24 fps. The D4 looks like a great improvement.

Trackbacks

1. En fantastisk flot video fra Nikon D3s « Jesper Skærbæk Jensen Fotoblog
  2. METTLE METAL – Base Camp Media - Rich Addicks - Atlanta - Montana - Video
  3. Rich Addicks, “Mettle on Metal” - Visual Journalism
  4. Attack of the interns, students and one day to document the world! - MultimediaShooter
  5. RIVER RIDERS | Video - Base Camp Media - Rich Addicks - Atlanta - Montana

Comments are closed.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 163 other followers